POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts : Re: "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Jul 2004 17:10:02
Message: <cc1ubr$bui$1@chho.imagico.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> [...]
> I'm not concerned about people making money from art derived from my SDL
> scripts or models. If a company uses a free model of mine in a movie or an
> ad, so be it. I dislike "no-commercial use" EULAs on free stuff because I
> find that they're a hassle for users. However, my concern is about people
> that would take a free model and sell it, because it would be a scam.

So you want to draw the line between using the model in an image you do
for money and selling the actual model (or a variation of it).  Although
this distinction is not always clear it should be possible to do so.
The problem would probably be to allow modification of the models
because such modifications obfuscate the identity of the model.

The real problem will be actually prooving something being your model
when it appears elsewhere.  AFAIK techniques for 'watermarking' 3D
models already exist.  When the mesh is modified the watermark will
usually no more be visible of course.  Both watermarking and actual
comparison are much easier in case of images.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______